Location: Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi, India (some travel to program locations)
Terms: Full time (but flexibility around working hours necessary)
Deadline to Apply: 1st December 2017
To close the gap in women’s participation within STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) sectors, FAT began Jugaad Lab Project in 2015, providing disadvantaged girls a space to explore the world of STEM work, using tools, assembling circuits and doing science experiments. This helps the girls to challenge gender biases, kindle their curiosity, improve their technical abilities and increase their confidence in STEM subjects.
The Program Associate will work at the implementation level of the Jugaad Lab Program, planning, developing and facilitating activities. The role will require an individual to be comfortable engaging, mentoring and supporting young girls to become empowered through the use of technology. The Program Associate should have deep interest in STEM subjects, should be an innovator themselves. We are looking for someone who likes to play with tools, builds stuff, has good knowledge of the makers movement and likes to work on open projects. They will be an excellent communicator and facilitator, alongside efficiently managing their work and time and completing documentation.
Reporting to: Program Manager
- Take part in the delivery of the Jugaad Lab program, participating in the development, progression and implementation.
- Work with other team members of the Jugaad Lab to identify different hands-on projects that can be done with girls, source materials required, and execute the project with the girls.
- Constantly look for new technology skills that can be taught to the girls, identify consultant trainers who can teach new skills, evaluate the girls learning curve and provide appropriate support for each girls’ learning.
- Network within the Makers Movement to find scope for partnerships, look for avenues where girls’ projects can be highlighted, connect the girls with different STEM learning platforms.
- Identify issues in the girls’ lives and in their community that can be solved through technology innovation, work with the girls to create such solutions.
- Ensure all internal and external, program, financial and donor required documentation, is completed and submitted correctly and efficiently.
- Work as part of a young, developing team, including mutual facilitation of learning and providing informal mentoring support.
- Assist with the ongoing monitoring, evaluation, learning and development of the program.
- Foster ongoing effective, professional relationships with parties such as donors, stakeholders, partner organisations and external consultants.
- Recognise and help to enable any necessary capacity building.
- Compile and submit material which is informative and engaging, to be used for marketing and communication.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Good knowledge and skills in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics related subjects, should have good clarity on concepts taught at school level and should be able to apply them easily in hands on projects.
- Some previous experience in the field of STEM required, whether formal or informal. Evidence of STEM projects done need to be provided.
- Should have some understanding of the STEM education and career opportunities in India.
- Understanding and active engagement with women’s movement in India is desirable though absolutely needed.
- Must be proficient in using different kinds of computer software in multiple OS, coding skills would be added benefit.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, exchanging knowledge and ideas, respecting and helping others to develop.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including a positive, can-do attitude and open mind.
- Knowledge of and connection with FATs mission, vision, values, principles, programs and services.
- Ability to work independently and under self-management, with high energy and a motivation for learning and developing.
- Capacity to communicate effectively with people at all levels of work, as FAT is working towards operating within an increasingly horizontal structure.
- Effective time and workload management and ability to juggle multiple complex priorities at one time.
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken Hindi and English.
- Willingness to mentor and provide support in the continual learning of others.
- Good report writing skills, including comfort in collecting key information and presenting and documenting this in an understandably fashion.
- Efficiency in meeting donor requirements, such as updates and reports.
FAT is an equal opportunity work place, welcoming individuals from different backgrounds, races, abilities, sexual orientation, class and age. FAT encourages diversity, shared knowledge and leadership, aspiring to create a minimum hierarchy organisation where people have the space to be innovative and develop initiative, whilst working together with the larger team.
The FAT operates a 360 degrees interview process, with representatives from all levels of the organisation involved. Any decisions regarding the hiring of a new staff member are made by the whole team collectively.
Compensation is based on experience and qualifications. Range 25,000 INR to 30,000 INR gross salary per month. Relocation expenses are not available. Joining: As soon as possible.
Please send a cover letter and CV outlining your skills appropriate to the role, along with three references and two writing samples, to email@example.com by 1st December 2017, mentioning the position you are applying for in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.